Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Just To Clarify...

I sure appreciate all the ego-boosting comments that were left after my last post. I promise, I wasn't having a pity party - although (Allen pointed out) it may have appeared that way. Here's what I mean when I say no one appreciates my specialness...

I have many rare talents.

For example, I can pretend I know all the words to any song on the radio by filling in my own words when I'm not sure what is being said. You know that song, "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat? I love singing that one... It starts in my toes and I crinkle my nose and that just shows that I'm good with prose. You make me smile, please stay for awhile now or else I will stalk you wherever you go. See what I mean? It's a gift.

You know how the overhead music at the grocery store occasionally plays a dancing song - one you just want to groove to? Well, I don't hold back. When my body wants to move to the music, I oblige. Who cares that the 20-somethings (and my kids) are mocking me? Usually an offer of some soft-serve changes their minds - and occasionally Coolister or Thumbelina will even bust a few dance moves right along with me. (note to self: Try offering soft-serve to the 20-somethings to loosen them up. You know they wish they were you.)

When my kids get invited to a last-minute birthday party I can craft a gift with some random supplies like felt and eyelets within a half hour. I mean, I'm sort of like McGyver, but with a sewing machine. Does it get any better than that?

I have a knack for using the word poop around my kids whenever possible, mostly because it makes them giggle nervously. (Why is everyone afraid of that word? Everyone does it. What's the big whoop?)

I can remember sayings from my childhood at the most convenient times. For example:
Random Person: Shut up!
Me: I don't shut up, I grow up. But when I look at you, I throw up.

I can also push a cart full of kids, pull a cart full of groceries and carry a baby on my hip, all while finding the best price on peanut butter. Are you catching my drift here? Specialness.

But how is all this talent received by those I spend most of my time with (a.k.a. my children)? With eye rolls and exasperated sighs.

But secretly, I think they love it. So I'll keep trying my best to really let all my specialness shine through.

15 comments:

ablackman said...

Good try Gerb. But really, it's okay to feel sorry for yourself and seek pity from others, once in a while. You are special and deserving of appreciation, even if you have to come right out and ask for it in a blogpost.

And you've gotta know I appreciate your specialness.

laura said...

You are such a cool mom!

Gloria said...

I love to line dance and I have been known to do a dance when I hear the appropriate music in the grocery store. It's so good to know I'm not alone.

Oh, yes, and I'm way older than you. My kids are grown and married so they are not around at these times. Saves them from getting embarrassed.

Holmes said...

I'm totally loving the fact that you make up words to songs. I do that too and it drives my children (and husband) crazy (all the more reason to do it!). You know the song "Elvira, Elvira, my heart's on fire, Elivira..." For years I thought it was saying, "Hell fire up, hell fire up, my heart's on fire, hell fire up..." (Can I say that on your blog?) I didn't know who Elvira was and the words made sense to me. Mike's favorite is, "There is beauty all around, when there's no one home..." That sweet husband of mine. So yeah, making up words is great to cover when you don't really know the words or to make a point. Anything always comes across better when it's set to music!

Rebecca said...

"big whoop"...I forgot how much I love that phrase. I might have to start using it again, now. :)

They might roll their eyes at you today, Gerb, but in a couple of decades when your kids realize that they've become just like you, then they'll giggle! (hopefully)

Teachinfourth said...

Curses! And this whole time I was just beginning to think that you were human. Poop on it all! Turns out you're still Supermom without a disguise after all. Ah well, we all need heroes to look up to, right?

Chelle! said...

You are too hilarious!!! I still think that you have that 'specialness' that a lot of people wish that they had. You are great!!!

annette said...

Your specialness is one of the things I love most about you. You have a way of making everything fun. Or fun-ny as the case may be.

Farscaper said...

I am not nearly as brave as you are but I do have my moments of goofyness. My kids are still young enough that they think I'm cool and fun when I get wierd.

When do the eyes start rolling? I'm expecting a future of "awe mom".

Threeundertwo said...

I consider it my job to be goofy.

I create alternate lyrics all the time. I blame Elton John. How are we supposed to sing along to

"Goodbye yellow brick road
blah blah something something something?"

Mom not Mum said...

LOL I do the same thing with songs and my kids do it to know. There is a silly song called that's not my name - we've recreated the whole thing to that's not my cheese. I think being a wacky mom is great - I can still remember my mom dancing in the kitchen with a jar of mayonaisse - I want my kids to remember stuff like that too. Of course they think I'm crazy now but in 30 years they will smile about it - I hope.

Sarah said...

Um, Hello? AND you can play the accordian. S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Julie said...

Wow...and I get to be related to you?

It doesn't get any better than that.


Oh--and my friend pflower thinks you are awesome too.

I wanna see you dance at Honks.

Gerb said...

blackman-
You see right through me, don't you?

laura-
Look who's talking... the ultimate COOL mom! I read your posts and think: lucky kids!

gloria-
I love to meet a fellow grocery store dancer. Maybe we'll meet in the aisles one day...

holmes-
I'll never forget this words-changed song: "C&H... Curby and Holmes. From Utah and Arizona, in the California sun..." how does the rest of it go?

rebecca-
I love the eye rolls. it means I'm doing my job well. I mean, an eye roll? What's the big whoop? ;0)

tchn5th-
What you all see IS my disguise! Good thing people can't really be a 'fly on the wall' or my true identity would be revealed!

chelle-
YOU have some serious camp song specialness, and THAT is a gift.

annette-
Why, thank you. Just don't expect me to be funny on demand - that is not one of my talents!

farscaper-
Oh, I got the eye rolls and "Awwww, MOM!"s starting at around the age of 8 and I've got years left to enjoy them! Just remember that it's their way of saying they think you're cool without their friends knowing.

3under2-
Amen to both points - I think they should be included in the job description for moms.

MOM (not mum)-
We have a couple of those too. Have you ever listened to the songs from Veggie Tales? Hilarious.

sarah-
Aw, shucks. Me and Lawrence Welk, we're pretty special musicians!

julie-
Meet me there on a Tuesday (88 cent day!) and I'll be dancing in the aisles - if the tunes are right.
p.s. I think pflower and her husband are pretty cool, too.

Happy Hubby, JJ, Bugs, Nenie and Sadie Jo said...

We are destined to be friends. I love this post and feel like I could spend hours with you chatting or dancing in the grocery store. (yes I am guilty too) You gotta teach me the two cart trick though.
Jen