Monday, September 22, 2008

Brown Baggin' It: Recipes

(photo from tasteofhome.com)

It's our last day of sack lunch goodness. And you know what that means? RECIPES! Here you go...

TORTILLA ROLL-UPS

Pretty basic, really. Get your tortilla and spread what you want on it. Roll it up and cut it how you like. Here's my kids' favorite:

flour tortillas
cream cheese
lunch meat
spinach (or lettuce)

One it's rolled, cut in half (or in pinwheels), throw it in a baggie and share the love.


BROWNIE BITES

packaged brownie mix (or whip up your favorite brownie batter)
optional: Reeses mini PB cups or Rolos

Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray mini-muffin pans with cooking spray. Fill each cup with a heaping tablespoon of brownie batter (a little more than half full). Bake for about 12 minutes. If you want the optional chocolatey goodness, stuff an (unwrapped!) PB cup or Rolo into the center of each brownie bite while they are still warm. Let them cool for about an hour. One box of brownie mix makes about 4 dozen.

SUPER EASY PUMPKIN MINI MUFFINS

small (15 ounce) can of pumpkin
1 box yellow cake mix

Prepare mini muffin pans with cupcake liners or cooking spray. Put pumpkin into a bowl. Add cake mix and stir (don't use a mixer!) until well combined. Pour into mini muffin pans (each cup half full) and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Options:
-Add mini chocolate chips
-bake as regular sized muffins instead (bake for 22-25 minutes)


CAKE MIX COOKIES

1 package of cake mix (any flavor)
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (or whatever chips you want)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. (If it's too hard to mix, add a little water.) Drop rounded teaspoons of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheets after removing from oven.

Options:
-Chocolate cake mix with white chocolate chips is tasty!
-Yellow cake mix with milk chocolate chips is my kids' favorite
-Spice cake mixes make great cookie sandwiches with cream cheese icing in the middle.


SCOTCHEROOS
(A yummy variation of the traditional rice crispy treats - from my sis-in-law Michelle)

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice crispies

OPTIONAL TOPPING:
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Combine sugar and corn syrup in a large pan. Heat to dissolve sugar & bring to a boil. Remove from heat & stir in peanut butter. Add rice crispies. Press into a greased 9 x 13 pan. (optional topping: Melt chips together in a saucepan then spread on top of rice crispies in the 9 x 13 pan.) Let cool, then pray that there will still be some left to put in your lunches tomorrow!

Did I forget any? If so, let me know. And that's it! Go make some awesome lunches for you & your kids. (If you are looking for a pay raise at work, your boss wants one, too.)

8 comments:

Gina said...

Love the recipes. Love the ideas. Love your creativity. I am only making a sack lunch for my husband at this point, but still good and useful tips. Thanks once again. I owe you.

Holmes said...

Oh, Gerb, the brownie bites are to die for! Kristen and I made them last night, complete with Rolos and peanut butter cups. They are so good. And no fighting over who gets the edge pieces because there are edges all the way around each culinary creation! Thanks so much for the idea.

Shellie said...

Oh, thank you thank you thank you!!!I loved all these posts. I just read the whole group. I think I will ask the kids which ideas they are interested in the most. I'll also let you know when I get my experiments up and going- I have to post someday!! When I do, you should get some visitors to these posts.

Gerb said...

Gina-
I am SO glad that you owe me! Could you bring some of those homemade Oreos you blogged about to our next training? I'm sure you've got all the time in the world. Thanks.

Holmes-
Oh, yes, my friend. Edges for everybody! I'm trying to spread the love, one family at a time.

Shellie-
Thanks for the inspiration. This is not typically the kind of thing I blog about, but hopefully it will make lunches more fun for someone. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiments!

Chelle! said...

WOW!!! You are amazing!!! These recipes are on my list to try. YEAH!!






Really...what time?

annette said...

You MUST have a strategy to put these amazing lunches together! Who has that kind of time? I remember you told me about doing a month's worth of lunch sacks all at one time and then using them throughout the month. What else do you do?

Me? My kids think I spoil them, because if they want a home lunch, I let them make it themselves! (With supervision, of course- otherwise dessert might end up the ONLY course!)

Cindy Cade said...

Thank you for all the reminders and tips. I have two children at home (the same ages nearly as our grands) and my brain is tired!

It is nice to not have to go and research all of this all over again. Just wait you will understand some day... lol!

Anonymous said...

thank you for these recipes! I love the pumpkin muffin one! Holley B. Durham, NC