Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Brown Baggin' It

I was reading my friend Shellie's blog the other day. She expressed some frustration over packing school lunches and asked for some advice. The problem was, I didn't feel right about using her comment section for what was sure to be a novel on the finer points of brown-bagging it. Because I've got skills when it comes to school lunches, people! MAD skills. So here we are.

Where do I start?

First off, these ideas can be used for everyone. You don't have to be a kid who is taking lunch to school. You could be the President of the United States and have your lunch-maker-person pack you an awesome meal that will make all the presidents of other countries jealous when you pull your lunch bag out during some long, drawn out foreign policy meeting or something. I'm just sayin' - everyone likes fun, tasty lunches.

Okie dokie. I am going to make this a series type of thing. There is just too much information to share! And I'm starting with an often overlooked aspect of bringing a lunch from home - the container. Now in my family brown lunch sacks work best. That way no one is getting in trouble for losing their lunch box (again) or for accidentally kicking their reusable bag on the roof of the school (again). You use what you like, though. Recycle your grocery bags, go buy that Batman lunch box you always wanted as a kid or cart off with an ice chest - you decide. But here's how to make it fun.

Jokes! Who doesn't like a good joke? Every day I write a new joke on my kids' lunch bags. These jokes end up being shared on the bus, in math class (the teacher insists!), during P.E. and even with some of the lunch ladies (who are jealous that they don't have lunch from home). If you don't have a brown bag, you can write a joke on a sticky-note. Or an index card. Or a napkin. You get the idea. A few good places to find jokes online are here or here or here.

You could also write a love note.

Or include some brain teasers or logic puzzles.

How about drawing your kid a picture?

Throw in a minute mystery and give them the solution when they get home.

The possibilities are endless!

Okay, now you have your bags all ready. Tomorrow I'll start giving you ideas on what to put in them.




By the way, the answer to Coolister's joke (see photo above) is:
Put your head through a window and the pane will just disappear!

10 comments:

Gina said...

Hey. Love it. Can't wait for part two. I always love good advice. Even more when it comes from you.

Did I ever talk to you about a girl party this Saturday at my house? If I didn't, I meant to. It is this Saturday, the 20th, at 6:00pm. All the Sorenson gals are coming. Please come! We need your humor. E-mail me for more info if I didn't tell you already. If I did tell you, then consider yourself reminded.

Shellie said...

I'm so glad you linked some resources, because I am a lame person when it comes to jokes. I'll be sending the linky love your way and can't wait for more installments.

It's all about the "Crew" said...

How could you ever doubt your specialness? I have never met a mom like you! And, you do this every morning? Very impressed!

Maleen said...

Okay, I am really excited. I don't even have any kids in school that take lunch, but I love fun ideas like this.
Thanks in advance.

~j. said...

My kids don't eat sandwiches.

Please help.

Rebecca said...

Well, I guess here's another commonality among my best friends: great lunches. When I was in kindergarten, my friend Erika packed herself a green popsicle (with plenty of ice) in her lunchbox. You know every kindergartener in that room was drooling with jealousy! Eventually, "a green popsicle idea" became our term for brilliance! And you, my friend Gerb, definitly have that!

Also, ~j., I wish my kids wouldn't eat sandwiches. That's the most tedious part of lunch-packing! The rest is easy!

annette said...

Thanks for the links- I've ear marked them all.

Teachinfourth said...

I never get bags like that...

(audible sigh).

Of course I did...well, once.

Aaron said...

Wow. I'm going to print this posting out and post in on the fridge for inspiration. I send my kids off with crackers and velvita in a grocery bag. You are the best mom ever!

Chelle! said...

What time do you make lunches? I will be over to grab mine!!! I take my lunch to work, but they are definitely NOT fun!