Friday, April 25, 2014

Towel Guy




As I mentioned in my previous post, I went to Durango, Colorado to watch my awesome superstar friend Ashley play her last basketball games at Fort Lewis College before she graduates in a couple of months.

It just so happened that Ashley's final game was played on National Compliment Day, so I was leaving compliments all over the place all day long.  I had printed out a stack of them before we left so I wouldn't forget.  Bathrooms, grocery stores, vending machines, car windshields, bulletin boards, locker rooms - I placed them anywhere I thought they'd be found by someone in need of a compliment.

That night at Ashley's game there was something strange going on.  About every 5 minutes or so this guy would run out on to the basketball court and wipe up a spot on the floor.  I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw the dripping myself - it had been a super wet, rainy day and water was leaking from the ceiling and dripping right into the middle of the basketball court.  This guy's job was to run out and wipe up the little puddles that would form on the floor whenever there was any sort of quick break in the game.

All of a sudden, it came to me.  National Compliment Day!  If anyone deserved a compliment it was this guy, performing a thankless task that he probably thought was happening unnoticed.  I flipped over one of the signs we had made to cheer Ashley on and made Towel Guy his own sign which read, Go Towel Guy!  Then the next time he ran out onto the court to mop up the floor, I waved my sign and cheered loudly.

At first, he didn't notice.  And then my friend Michelle and her friend Vieve started cheering for him with me. We'd count 1,2,3... then yell, "GO TOWEL GUY!" while I waved my sign for him to see.  Some of Ashley's family joined in, too.  Eventually, he noticed and gave us a little wave.  We continued to cheer for him throughout the game.

After the game was over we went to ask for a picture with him.  He agreed (as seen at the top of this post) and after the picture was taken he smiled and said, "Thanks for the support.  That was great."

National Compliment Day mission accomplished!

3 comments:

ashley said...

I've never heard of national compliment day! That's awesome!!! Haha

ashley-ashstash.blogspot.com

Anaise said...

That is excellent!!!!

Chelle! said...

I loved screaming for the towel guy. He was too cute and such as gem to let us take a picture with him. :)