Monday, February 4, 2008

Guys and Dolls: Flashback!

WHS production of Guys and Dolls, 1991.
(Havana dancers in Rainbow Brite dresses, myself, and Nicely-Nicely)

When I graduated from high school, I didn't know what to do with myself. My problem was this: all of my closest friends were a year behind me in school. So, I became "Bob". The movie, "What About Bob?" was popular at the time, and I just wouldn't go away, so some people started calling me "Bob", or just saying, "What about Gerb?" My high school drama teacher, however, saw that he could use this to his advantage. Since I was showing up to all of the rehearsals for the school musical "Guys and Dolls" anyway (all my friends were in it!) he asked me to help with costumes. I have never had so much fun in my life! Guys and Dolls is still one of my favorite musicals to this day.
WHS production, 1991
(Crap shooters, Hot Box Dancers, etc. - and an amazing set!)

So, you can imagine the excitement that surged within me when my oldest daughter asked if she could audition for her Middle School's production of Guys and Dolls. She and all of her friends tried out and all were accepted for various parts. One friend got a lead role (Adelaide), some girls were Dolls, some were Crap Shooters (not enough boys auditioned - I love Middle School!) and some got to play cowbell in the Mission Band - namely my own EM.

Middle School production of Guys and Dolls - 2008
(Look at that gorgeous Mission Band member, 2nd performer from the left!)

Miss Adelaide and Mission Band Cowbell Ringer, 2008

I can not express how much I love watching my kids experience some of the things that I enjoyed at their age. I must admit, though - I am a little jealous.

I have never had the opportunity to ring a cowbell.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Is it over?!? Did I miss the boat?!? Pleeeeeeze tell me there's another performance. I wanted to take Kate to see her 2 most favorite babysitters perform.

Rebecca said...

Wowie-wow-wow, look at your daughter. Did you do her make-up, Gerb? (since now you're so into that stuff...) ;)

Gerb said...

Cami -

How did Kate like it? My cowgirl was ready to leave after EM's first appearance on stage...the sound system was pretty bad the night we went, though.

Rebecca -

Yes, I'm becoming quite the expert, aren't I? After seeing how grown-up and beautiful she looks with makeup on, I think I'm banning her from it until after her mission. Her eyelashes are to die for!

ablackman said...

Gerb, I guess looking at those old Guys and Dolls pictures of yours I didn't realize you were the one responsible for those costumes. Yeah, I know I'm a prude, but did you miscalculate the amount of material needed for those poor girls' outfits? I'm embarrassed for them now, and it's been almost 20 years of water under the bridge.

Boyd and Sarise said...

gerb, you totally should have told us EM was in a play (and when it was)! We would have come watch! I love going to school productions.

Teachinfourth said...

Hmmm...nobody told me about this either. I would have enjoyed coming. You'll have to give EM as well as A.E. and S.M. a bad time for me because of that!