Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Book Worth Reading!

I will be the first to admit that I am not a big fan of most non-fiction books. However, this one came highly recommended, and I am now on my second reading of it. The author, Oliver DeMille, brings to light so many truths about the way kids (and adults) are educated today and how it needs to change. It explains the differences between teaching someone what to learn, when to learn and how to learn. He also talks of exceptional teachers and their styles of teaching and mentoring in the classroom - how administrators need to back off and let teachers run their classrooms to fit the needs of individual students and allow for an atmosphere which fosters a love for learning. I wanted to purchase a copy for the principal of our elementary school, but I don't think she would read it and I wouldn't want to waste the gift of a wonderful book on someone who wouldn't appreciate it.

Wow...I didn't make it sound too exciting, did I? Well, just this once, you'll have to just trust me. I don't buy books until I have read them once and know they are worth it. This is a book I would buy in bulk and give as gifts to everyone I know!

If you have any interest in educating your children and/or the children around you to become future leaders, in helping them learn how to learn and not just what to learn (the bare minimum) in order to move up each grade level at school - this is the book for you!

Words are not something I am good with - I tend to turn my thoughts into muck at times when trying to express them in written/spoken language. Just know that this book has made me even more passionate about my children's education. Give it a read and see what you think!

P.S. If you live near me and want to borrow the City Library's copy, it will be back in 2 weeks. I just renewed it so I can continue to read while waiting for my own copy to arrive. After that, I would love to loan the book out if anyone is interested!

5 comments:

laura said...

Thanks for the recommendation. My oldest is starting kindergarten, so I'm beginning my career as the elementary mom soon.

And I take it you are missing Cindy Wright!

Gerb said...

Laura -

One thing I love about this book is that it shows how to enhance public education at home. It also focuses some on homeschooling, but not as the only option.

And you have no idea how much we are missing Mrs. Wright! I'll leave it at that, since this is just a reply to your comment and not the place for a short novel.

Rebecca said...

I've heard my sister mention that book, but to be honest, I thought she had pretty extreme opinions about the virtues of home-schooling, so I never really thought to read it. Funny to hear you recommend it now! I'll check it out, after I finish the vampire books. (I finally read the first one during the cruise, and finished #2 last night.)

laura said...

Thanks, Gerb. I'm going to put it on my "to read" list. I definitely want to enhance public education as much as I can. And be involved in the school. You are my example in how to be a good, involved mom.

I went to the school while I was in Utah over the holidays. Wow! It looks amazing. Except for my classroom. I was so sad. I can't remember her name, but it's the same teacher who moved in there right after me and the paper on the walls is all the same, totally faded and peeling. And the room was a complete disaster! Sad about the new principal. When you have time to post that short novel I'll be excited to read it.

Our family said...

I have had this recommended to me several times over the last few months. It really must be worth reading!