Wednesday, December 12, 2007

An Early Christmas

For anyone who cares to know, I had my 20-week ultrasound yesterday.

My good friend Heidi is an Ultrasound Professional and does such an amazing job that if I go to anyone else I am destined to be disappointed. Because Heidi and I live 7 houses away from each other and are no longer in the same church ward, we never actually talk to each other unless I am having another baby and need another ultrasound. Hmmm...I guess we talk at least every couple years, then. Anyway, I always feel a bit embarrassed when I call and leave her a message like the following: "Hey, Heidi, it's Gerberta. Um, I'm having a baby again, and I REALLY, REALLY want you to do my ultrasound. If it's not a huge inconvenience to arrange that between me, you, the doctor's office and the hospital, could you call me back?" She's always willing, and I am never disappointed.

Two babies ago I had an ultrasound with Joe-Ultrasound-Man at the hospital. I didn't want to call and bother Heidi AGAIN, and I thought, "I'm sure whoever will do a fine job." Wrong. He didn't let me look at the screen where the baby was, because I was pretty far along, about 32 weeks, and the baby was big so it was "hard to tell what anything is, anyway." (quote from Joe-Ultrasound-Man). 2 minutes later, and he says, "Everything looks good. You're done. Let me kick you on your way out, and thanks for the insurance money. My job is to disappoint pregnant women, and I am good at it." OK, maybe he didn't say all of that. But I bet he was thinking it. That was when I realized that Heidi is my Ultrasound Woman, forevermore.

Here is what makes Heidi so wonderful...
1) She takes the time to explain what I'm looking at on the screen.
2) She counts all of baby's fingers and toes.
3) She prints off lots of pictures for me to take home.
4) She shows me every detail.
5) She spends close to 45 minutes to complete the job.
6) She will not give up on discovering baby's gender. Which, by the way, was hidden by the umbilical cord for a good portion of the ultrasound. But, baby cooperated, wiggled and turned a bit, and there it was.

I guess patterns were made to be broken. Come May, our boys will have one more to help even up the family gender score.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

You know, if you really want to "even up" the gender score, you'll need to add a minimum of one more after this, and that's if it's another boy right away. ;) I'm sure you can do it! I miss Heidi, too. Even though I have found fabulous choices in doctors around here, compared to my experiences there, no ultrasound professional, either here or there, compares to our Heidi.

It's all about the "Crew" said...

I loved how you kept us all hanging till the very end what you were having! Congratulations! Glad to hear things are going well for you and the baby!

Michelle said...

YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!! Can you hear me screaming!!! I am so excited for you!!! I am glad that Heidi was there for you. When I had an ultrasound (not exciting as a baby ultrasound) on my intestines--I had a very nice lady. They thought that I had some sort of tumor in my intestines. Anyway, that is another story for another day, but the lady that I had was so nice and comforting. I wonder if it was Heidi. Okay, maybe not...but I will pretend-'cause I thought that she was great. Enough of me rambling on and on about nothing. CONGRATULATIONS GERB!!!

Cami said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. How fun. I want a boy...sometime.

annette said...

I guess I've been spoiled w/good ultra sound experiences. Mine have all been "Heidi" style. :) Wow, this means for the first time you'll have two boys somewhat close in age! That will be fun!

Shellie aka La Vaquita said...

How exciting, I just love ultrasounds. Of course when you find out there's two of them in there, it's always a great ultrasound too, in sensurround. Happy for your 1 new boy!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca wouldn't give me the answer to my question, "Well, what is Gerberta having --- boy or girl?" She is still teaching her mother and told me that I'd need to access the answer by clicking on the underlined word in her blog. And I was curious enough to do that. Glad that I did---it was fun to read your cute blog entry! What a beautiful family you have!! As an aside, I just talked with the friend who works for the Church magazines yesterday (my contact person for getting the story of your young son's missionary/baptism experience to them), and she said that she will try to find out when the article is finally published. I hope you'll know by then, too. I'm excited for that. What a beautiful story! You are amazing parents to teach a young son (and several siblings) so well! Love, Darla (Rebecca's mom)

Julie said...

Woohoo! Boy parts! Congratulations! You know that Grandma Burton has more grandsons than granddaughters, don't you? Glad you're finally catching up with that trend.

c jane said...

Gerb,

A baby boy for both of us! Now, if only my boy will be as intelligent as yours. . .

CONGRATS!

Rebecca said...

You now have my permission (and strong suggestion) to name him Owen. It's a celebrity name, so that fits the pattern, plus it's a "family" name, since we are pretty much as "family" as you can get. Even my mom comments here! And then when he marries Bidia, I will finally have a son named Owen. Ok?