Thursday, April 26, 2012

The YMCIA (Part 5)

Wednesday morning we slept in a little longer than we'd planned.  Allen and I had come up with a list of things we wanted to see and do while in the Big Apple and we had a long day ahead of us!  First off we went to the Empire State Building.



One of my favorite parts of this place was actually the waiting in line.  So if you ever go, don't let one of the outside ticket-sellers convince you to pay extra for a ticket to bypass the line.  The line was what New York City is all about - diversity.  I'm pretty sure that Allen and I were in the minority as English-speakers, as every person near us was talking in a different language.  There were people dressed like they were ready for a long hike, a family wearing their Sunday best, a priest accompanied by two nuns sporting black New Balance tennies (not sure why this fascinated me), and even a group of businessmen.  I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying but I loved listening to the rise and fall of the voices surrounding us and just observing everyone - these strangers who are really my brothers and sisters on this planet.  The realization hit that I am a part of a much, much larger universe than I can ever really comprehend.

Like I said, don't fear the lines.  Embrace them.

The view from the observation deck was spectacular. *whistle*


Oh... and the view of the city was pretty spectacular, too.

 
 

Next on the agenda was a trip to the Museum of Natural History, best known at our house as The-Night-at-the-Museum-Museum.  It was fun to walk in and see Rexy right off.

 
And of course I had to go find the Easter Island statue (affectionately nicknamed 'Dum-Dum') so we could get a picture to show the kids.

 
Next up was a ride on the Circle Line Cruise to get a view of the NYC skyline


and see Lady Liberty up close.


She was amazing.


I could imagine what the immigrants of long ago felt upon seeing her for the first time, standing there so majestic and beautiful, welcoming all to the Land of the Free. 



We got back to shore with just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat (we did this a lot, actually) and walk to the Neerlander Theater where Newsies was playing.  On our walk to the theater the excitement began to really hit me.  I was going to see Newsies performed on stage.  I wanted to run, skip, do cartwheels and backflips down the street.  I wanted to throw hundred dollar bills from the top of a building.  I wanted to hug every person I passed.  I think I contained it pretty well, though.



Once we got into the theater and I saw where our seats were - oh my goodness.  Even typing about it now I can hardly stand the happiness and excitement.  I kept reaching over and patting Allen's leg (really hard, apparently) and saying Ican'tbelievewe'rereallyhere! with a huge, goofy perma-grin on my face.



When the lights started to dim, and the opening notes of the score floated up from the orchestra just in front of us as the curtain slowly rose, I thought I might explode into a million happy-faced bouncy balls.  The energy in the theater was so palpable - I couldn't help but wonder how many other people were feeling just as I did.

I'll have to write a separate post just about the show and all of it's awesomeness.

But once we left the theater on a total euphoria-induced high, we walked to the most gorgeous library I have ever seen in my life, the New York Public Library.



And then we went to admire Grand Central Station (they aren't kidding when they call it Grand!)


 before calling it a night.  Oh, and did I forget to mention the last step in my midlife crisis intervention?



Tickets to Wicked.  Thursday night.  I am so in love with this YMCIA, I can hardly stand it.

3 comments:

Holmes said...

So totally awesome! I can't quit smiling! I love this trip to New York that you're taking me on. I haven't seen Newsies either but have heard some of the music and even bought the DVD awhile back thinking I would watch it and probably like it. Now I'm going to have to break it open and share in your excitement! So good to see you the other night and catch up a bit. Sending love and a big hug your way!

Rebecca said...

Well said, Holmes! I also love experiencing NYC with you! And I love the YMCIA. I wonder if there's an agent in my area?

Rachel said...

Where do I sign up!