Monday, April 16, 2012

The YMCIA


There was a loud knock on my door early this afternoon. When I went to see who was there, I found only a thick, white envelope waiting for me. The front was blank, there was no name or address written on it - so of course I opened it up immediately.

This is what I found.

(click on the picture to make it larger)

The second envelope contained this letter:
I drove to my first destination and retrieved the bag which was waiting for me. It contained 2 window wiper blades and a new rear-view mirror, as well as another envelope.


Inside the envelope was this next step:

The only drawback here was that there was no disk in the bag. However, undaunted, I drove to my next destination and repeated the words I was told to say. They assured me that a disk had already been delivered and handed me my next envelope.

I hopped onto the freeway and headed toward my next destination, a Village Inn restaurant about 30 miles away. Once I arrived I called the number at the bottom of the page - but the YMCIA agent must have been busy because I got his answering machine which revealed his name as 'Jace'. I tried again, this time connecting after a few rings. "Is this Mrs. Black?" he asked. I verified my identity and he then repeated, "Please stand by" a few times between noises which sounded like a car door being opened, running, numbers being dialed, and some objects being moved around. He then asked for me to name the restaurants to the north and east of my location before reading me my next set of instructions.

I was told that I needed some serious intervention, so the YMCIA had flown in one of their finest agents to be my personal assistant in order to accomplish the rest of my tasks. I needed to drive to the airport and then proceed slowly around the pick-up area, looking for someone in a red jacket who would recognize me.

When I got to the airport, this was the first red-jacketed person I saw:
I drove past him slowly, making eye contact and smiling, but he just turned away and looked toward the airport.

No dice.

So I continued on, driving slowly, until I found...

My mother-in-law! They weren't kidding when they said she was the best in the business. She is the best at EVERYTHING she does, and someone I respect immensely and consider a dear friend. To say I was excited would be an understatement.

She handed me another envelope, which contained this:


So, off to Zupas we went for lunch and then to a few grocery stores to purchase a week's worth of food. We returned home, unpacked the groceries, made dinner, and now I am writing this post.

I am dying to see what else is in store. What is this elusive YMCIA?!

15 comments:

La Yen said...

I can't wait to see the rest!

Anonymous said...

You've got me hooked! I'm dying to find out who's behind this!!!!

Brown Thumb Mama said...

OOooh, I can't wait to find out! Have fun on your adventure!!

Steph said...

Me either. How awesome.

Anaise said...

My goodness! What a fun adventure!!!

Rebecca said...

I have a guess, and I hope I'm right!!! This is AWESOME!!!!!

GaeLynn said...

I am so excited for you! You are going to love it!!!!!!

Linn said...

AWESOME!!

Rachel said...

Oh I so better get invited to this YMCIA when I turn 40 next year!!!! :D

Can't wait to see what is next......

Connie said...

How exciting! Can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

Been away for a while. Looks like you had a great birthday!
Happy belated 40th!

A Lark said...

This is awesome! Some people are so creative!

Chelle! said...

Hope your adventure is simply amazing!!

Petersons Blog Spot said...

This is so exciting!

Holmes said...

Gerb, we're all dying here! Hope you're having a fabulous time. Can't wait to hear all of the details. Whatever it is, you deserve it!

Gina said...

Blahhhhh!!! Loving this. Can't wait for more. You live on a different planet than me. Miss you!