Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Random Thoughts

Most of my kids are more fluent in movie quotes and song lyrics than in actual speaking. And I think it's pretty great - especially the song lyrics. Because that's my kind of language. Movie quotes, not so much. Unless the movies are from the 80's. I watched a lot of those. But you know what stinks about movies from the 80's? I remember them a lot differently than they really are. Like, when I find one and get really excited to watch it with my kids and then there is more swearing in the first 5 minutes than I remember being in the entire movie, so we have to turn it off. And then the kids say, "But I thought you said you loved that movie?" And I respond, "I was a different person in high school than I am now." Only, to tell the truth, I think there are a lot of things about me that are the same.

I still have curly hair. And it's been long enough now since I've been pregnant that my hair is becoming itself again. It's slowly graying too, but my hair is a huge part of my identity and I love it. I know that sounds kind of... I don't know. Vain? I don't mean to be vain. I just love the curly hair God gave me. I know a lot of people who have naturally curly hair who take the time to straighten it all the time. I do that every once in a while. And then my kids tell me I look weird so I wash it and POOF! I'm back to being me.

One of these years I'm going to dye my hair a subtle red and dress like Miss Frizzle. Not for Halloween. Just because. Maybe for like a month. I'm going to work on my sewing skills by crafting dresses that represent the solar system and weather patterns and nocturnal animals and ant colonies and volcanoes and such. And when people ask if I'm supposed to be Miss Frizzle I'll just look at them like, huh? I can not wait.

Have you ever eaten a persimmon? Oh my goodness. I had never even heard of them until a couple of weeks ago when Elle and I went to visit some friends and the husband was eating one. He told me he got them at a local store, so the next time I was there I bought some. They look like a tomato but they are not a tomato. They are mildly sweet and just delicious. They are my new favorite food right now. Persimmons. Who knew??

2 comments:

Anaise said...

Amen to the bummer of trying to share 80s movies with kids. I had the exact same problem you described when I tried to watch a few old favorites with my crew.

And my kid quote Studio C day in and day out . . . and song lyrics, too. :)

Elizabeth said...

I have found the same thing with the 80's movies. It is kind of sad.

I know what you mean with the curly hair. If I straiten mine, my kids look at me so weird.

We quote everything at our house. It is very normal to have a conversation break into song.

Love your post.