Monday, November 2, 2015

Pictures With My People

I have thought long and hard about what I would want if I could have any gift available. (It came up as a question at some point a long time ago and I haven't stopped considering it.) I have finally figured it out, and I'm feeling confident about this answer. I would like a large collection of photos of me with my friends and family. And what I mean by this is that I would like to have someone follow me around and take pictures of me with each of the people that I love.  Not just pictures of them. I want to be in the pictures with them. I love taking pictures but I'm so often behind the camera. I want to be in front of it, along with the people who have been a part of my life's story.

Some people are uncomfortable with the idea of telling others that they love them. Some say that "love" is overused and overstated. I've gotten to the point where I disagree. Love is the key to everything. And when I say that I want pictures with the people that I love I don't just mean my immediate family. I don't just mean my neighborhood family. I mean ALL of the people that I LOVE in my life. And that probably includes you, if you're reading this. Because I bet I love you, even if you don't know it.

I need to start carrying my camera with me everywhere I go so I can get started with this plan. I would guess it has been at least 5 years that the idea has been swirling around in my brain and the more I think about it, the more I love it.

I would love to make it a point to travel around, just to get these pictures, which I know would be such a treasured gift. And then I have thought about starting a blog that is just for posting these pictures and writing about why I love each person, what I respect and admire in them. I think I would call it "Pictures With My People". But that's not set in stone yet.

To complete the vision of what I want to accomplish here I would have to travel all over my state. I'd start in my own city then travel everywhere from Cedar City and Vernal to Layton and Blanding and then some. I would need to travel all over the United States. I would need at least a month in California, a trip to Montana and Boston and Texas and Nevada and Iowa and New Mexico and beyond. I would need to get a passport so I could get to Italy to meet Stephanie and Canada to meet Jerri and Shanghai to meet Heather, all of whom I have never met in person but feel connected to.

The enormity of this plan is what has stopped me from making it happen. But the more I think about it, the more passionate I feel about it. So maybe, little by little, I can make this happen.

Somehow, writing this all out, it feels so much more real. And bit by bit, so much more possible.

So if I run into you somewhere and I happen to have my camera with me and ask for a picture together, please just smile and say yes. And know that my asking means that you are loved. And that you will be helping me make a dream come true.

4 comments:

Linn said...

I love this ridiculously much. I say do it my friend. Starting this second.

Anaise said...

That's a wonderful dream--make it come true!

Petersons said...

What a great idea! My family and I are coming to Provo in February for a basketball game so we can get our picture then! Jerri

stephanie said...

Oh that's such a beautiful idea. And it is true, it would be the best gift, for a lot of people I think.

I started imagining you coming to Naples now... that would be a gift for me too!!!!


I'm glad you're posting a lot in November, I love your writing!


stephanie/clara