Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Kid-Friendly Valentine Dinner

 
I mostly needed to document this day for my benefit. Allen and I decided to spend Valentines Day with the kids rather than fighting the crowds at the restaurants and movie theaters. Initially we thought of having a nice dinner with a variety of fun courses to make it special. But then I decided to make it a kid-friendly special sort of dinner instead.
 
I took a lot of pictures with my tablet computer thingy (I'm never sure what to call it) but they didn't turn out the greatest. It was a good lesson in why taking the time to use my actual camera is usually worth it.
 
Two of the kids' favorite foods are pizza and hot dogs so I wanted to incorporate those. I made English muffin pizzas with pepperoni that I cut into heart shapes with a small cookie cutter:
 
(before cooking)
 
 (after cooking)
 
I cut Little Smokies at an angle then rotated them to make the heart shape. Here's what they looked like before cooking. After cooking they looked more like angel wings but the kids didn't seem to notice. So if you ever want to make these I would suggest cooking them first, then cutting them and putting them together.


 
I had to have something healthy in there so I made a heart-shaped salad, too. The cucumbers could be cut out with the cookie cutter. The carrot had to be shaped before slicing. The grape tomatoes I cut the same way I made the little hot dogs.
 
No special meal around here is complete without Jell-O so I made these individual parfaits topped with whipped cream and some candy hearts.
 
For dessert I made chocolate covered strawberries
 
And each person got a little cup filled with Valentiney candy at their plate.


 


 Combine that with the candy hearts scattered all over the table and my kids were in candy heaven. They couldn't believe that they could just eat the candy whenever they wanted to during the meal! Needless to say, our table decorations did not stick around for long.

We drank cherry 7-up with maraschino cherries from fancy glasses but used paper plates and napkins.
 

 

The candles weren't out yet, but you can kind of see them in the picture at the top of this post. The kids always think it is such a treat to eat by candlelight with the lights dimmed. Here was our full spread:
Which was made complete with this awesome table that Allen is building for us. It's not quite finished yet, so we've been using it with a tablecloth to cover the unfinished structure. But what a treat to all sit at the same table and enjoy a meal and a fun evening together!

I also found Pictionary at our local thrift store for $2 so we had a great game night after dinner and laughed like crazy.
 

4 comments:

HL said...

Sweet

Petersons said...

What a great idea! I just might try this next year.

hi de ho said...

Hi de ho is Kara's mom. I love reading your blog and I hope you don't mind. I love how you love being a mom and share that joy through your writing. You are amazing.

Gerb said...

Hi de ho (Kara's mom) - Of course I don't mind! Thank you for reading and for your sweet comment!