Thursday, December 12, 2013

Beholding of Angels


I have been studying and thinking about spiritual gifts lately - where they come from, how we recognize them and what they are.  When I first read over the list of different gifts I could only recognize one as a gift that I possess. But as I've thought more about each one I am beginning to realize that I have more than I originally thought.  

I received an email from Princess' teacher the other day.  It said,

I wanted to let you know about the wonderful job Princess had been doing in my class. She sits next to M, who is an academically gifted student with autism. M often has trouble focusing and sometimes makes odd noises or hums as a symptom of his disability. Princess has been so patient with him and has been a wonderful friend to M. I'm aware that it's easy to be distracted by his behaviors, and I am impressed with Princess' positive attitude towards the situation. M loves his table!

I was so proud of my sweet girl. She has always been such a tender-hearted young lady who is a friend to everyone.

Princess had a class store the next day, where each person had the option of bringing items from home to sell and/or getting to spend the class 'money' they had earned at other students' stores.  Kind of like a yard sale for 5th graders. When I picked the kids up after school I asked her how it went.  She told me about what things were most wanted and what she had sold and then wanted to show me some of the things she had bought.  As she pulled some binoculars from her pocket a ball of foil fell out.

"What's that?" I asked.  She looked like she didn't want to tell me. "Is it just some trash, Princess?"


"Mom, please don't get mad."


"Why would I get mad?  Did you buy some treats and eat them all?"


"No."


She went on to explain that her friend M, who sits at her table, didn't have anything to sell at the class store so he had made balls out of foil and set them out for sale.


"No one was buying them, Mom" she told me, "and he was really excited about them at first but then he started to look really sad. So I went to his store."


"And bought one of his foil balls?"


"No." She pulled three more from her pocket. "I bought four."


My vision got a little blurry just then.  I drove in silence for a few minutes and then I told her about the email I had gotten from her teacher the day before and how proud Allen and I were of her. "Those foil balls are my favorite of all the things you bought, Princess", I told her. 


Grades are important and all, but this is the kind of stuff I love to hear that my kids are learning.


One of the spiritual gifts that we can be blessed with is the beholding of angels. I remember reading about that gift and wishing I had it - to be able to see my dad again and others who have left earth life.  But when I stop thinking of angels as immortal beings and recognize the earthly angels that I share my life with, my kids who teach me by example how to bless the lives of others, the more I think about it, the more I feel like this is a gift I may have been given.  Because even though they can be typical kids a lot of the time I am constantly impressed and touched by how natural it is to them to serve and help others. 

7 comments:

Pam Farley said...

I am in tears! Love, love, love your sweet babes.

Mindy said...

What a sweet story. Made me misty-eyed.
I have to say that your children come by it naturally, though. You are an angel to so many yourself.

Cari said...

She is an angel! After reading this, it reminded me that just yesterday I witnessed one of her sweet interactions with M. I was in her classroom checking something on their classroom computers and her table is right by them. They were having their oranges for snack and M was having a difficult time opening his orange. He got very upset and started to cry a little. She was so sweet with him and got him to calm down. I don't know for sure (I didn't see) but I would guess she shared hers with him. She is a sweetheart!

Rachel said...

Crying........ beautiful Gerb.

Anaise said...

Made me cry.

La Yen said...

She is awesome.

stephanie said...

They often say children are a mirror of their parents...


stephanie