Thursday, October 3, 2013

Random Thoughts

Huge storm rolling in. 
This has been the most rainy autumn I remember.  I love it.

When people post a picture and add 'hashtag-no-filter' I have no idea what that means.  Does it mean people usually put some find of filter on their pictures?  The only filter I own is the one in my furnace and I just remembered that it probably needs to be cleaned.  Dang.  Hashtag-dirty-filter.

Is it just me or does everyone else get asked, "So, any fun plans today?" by cashiers and sales clerks at stores when there's a lull in the conversation and they're feeling awkward?  I am usually not feeling awkward until they ask that.  It's like an I'm Feeling Awkward Alert.  Are they trained to ask that question or do you think they all thought of it independently?  I think they should be trained to offer compliments instead.  No, even better - if they can't think of anything to say they should offer discounts!  Now we're talking!

I saw an article somewhere recently that said that the going price for a lost tooth these days was up near $4. FOUR DOLLARS.  What??  I remember what I used to get whenever I lost a tooth - a Canadian dime. Your guess is as good as mine as to why I was getting Canadian money, but I don't remember caring either way because a Canadian dime worked in the prize machines outside of the grocery store and as long as I came away with my handful of Chiclets or Sixlets it was all good.

So... is the tooth fairy Canadian?  Also, Chiclets are a gross excuse for gum.  And Sixlets are not real chocolate.  I am older and wiser and have real taste buds now.

Living vicariously through your kids is something you're not supposed to do but most of the time it can be pretty awesome.  However, I am discovering that it can also be pretty heart-wrenching when you see them experiencing things you would rather forget ever having gone through.

I wish other kids (and adults!) could see my kids through my eyes.  Awesomeness is their superpower but most of them keep it hidden away and all anyone sees is their alter-egos.  Which are also pretty awesome, actually.  But what do I know?  I'm just their biased mother.

Being a mom to these 10 kids of mine is the best thing I'll ever do, I'm pretty sure.  There is no fame or fortune or anything else that can replace motherhood for me.

That being said, there is still a whole mental list of things I want to do in my life and I'm not even close to completing it.

Regardless of how long I stand and stare at what's in the pantry, it never makes itself into dinner.

I can not spend less than an hour at our local thrift store.  Even when I tell myself that I'm only going to go in and see if I can find just that one book or basket or shirt or whatever, there are too many treasures to be found and I can't leave without a quick run-through to my favorite sections of the store.

I've discovered that I almost always like thrift store clothes better than what I can find at the mall.  The best part is that they've been washed at some point so they're already shrunk down to post-wash size and I don't have to worry about them shrinking too much after purchase.

I can not stop watching this video lately:

or listening to the song.  I see the darker-haired guy as Josh Groban every time I watch it and that makes it even better. (He's pretty much Josh's Norwegian twin. Look at the guy.  You know it's true.)  I think Josh Groban should do a cover of this song, actually.  That would be awesome.

The Fox song is so catchy that even Little X can sing the chorus.
video
Even while eating enchiladas!  (I told you awesomeness was a superpower around here.)

6 comments:

Pam Farley said...

Oh my gosh. I agree with all of your random thoughts...but Little X totally stole the show! Love, love love!

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness!! I agree with everything you've posted except for that Fox song!!! Natalie showed it to me when Jadon told me he couldn't focus in school because he kept thinking of the Fox song. What Fox song???? Natalie showed it to me and now I get why Jadon can't focus in school. It's totally creepy!!!! :D

KS Photography said...

Yeah, couldn't make it more than halfway through that song....now I get a bunch of FB posts.....but I love the rest of your post! Totally agree.

Petersons said...

Clerks are always asking me how my weekend was (probably because I usually shop on Mondays). The problem is that I always draw a blank. I honestly cannot remember and I find that awkward!
Also, the tooth fairy is Canadian where I come from!

Alexis said...

My roommates and I just watched Benson sing that song 3 times. It's the cutest!! I can't believe how big he is getting!

Anaise said...

That's one cute little fellow there at the end! Your kids ARE awesome . . . and I'm not their biased mom. :)

And I've never mailed that letter! I promise to get right on that!!!!!!!