Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Own Little Modern-Day Miracle

What Lies Beneath.  This picture will make sense later.

I was driving around this afternoon, taking Thumbelina to an orthodontist appointment and Little O to school, when I figured I might as well go pick up some milk and finish my grocery shopping while I was out with Little X.  Thumbelina said she'd just come with me to get the milk since it was now lunch time at school and she wouldn't be missing any classes or anything.  So I started to head to the freeway but then something in my brain shifted and started changing plans so I decided to just take her to school after all.  After dropping her off I told myself, time to get milk.  But I suddenly had the thought that we would be fine without milk until tomorrow - what I needed to do was go home and eat a grilled cheese sandwich.

And then I started arguing with myself.  (I know, it's embarrassing to admit, but this was really happening.)  I don't want a grilled cheese sandwich.  I'd have to get out the griddle and a spatula and clean them up afterwards.  And I'm not really that hungry right now anyway.  The thought wouldn't leave me. You want grilled cheese!  You can use three pieces of cheese and cook it at a nice, low temperature and put a bowl over the top of it so the cheese melts just right while it's cooking up all golden, buttery brown.  Doesn't that sound nice?  Dang it, grilled cheese.  Why do you have to be so delicious?

I drove toward home.

As I pulled into the driveway I noticed that Little X was asleep.  I started thinking of all I could accomplish while he was having a little snooze and already had a mental list of tasks as I laid him down on my bed.  I gathered a load of laundry to put in the wash and went to get my sewing machine out of the closet when the thought came to me again: grilled cheese.  In a minute, I told myself, and put the laundry in the washer.  I started to fold and put away the clothes in the dryer and decided to make Curly's bed for her when the thought came again: grilled cheese perfection without anyone else around to ask for a bite!  I decided that I must be hungrier than I thought and went upstairs to the kitchen.

It is no secret to anyone who knows me that I do not like to clean.  So, as delicious as grilled cheese was sounding I decided to bypass the extra mess and just get some pretzels from the pantry to tide me over while I finished the things I wanted to get done.  As I reached for them I thought, you don't want salty, dry pretzels!  Why eat something you don't even want?  Just make a grilled cheese sandwich! And I thought, maybe I'll just eat a piece of cheese for now.  So I opened the fridge and that was when I noticed the puddle.  Not just a little puddle, but a large one. It came out from beneath the refrigerator and pooled under the cupboards all the way to the sink.

What the heck? I wondered.  I got some towels out and dried up the mess but saw that the water continued to puddle out from beneath the fridge.  There was a leak somewhere.  I pulled down the stuff from the top of the fridge and pulled it out just far enough to get a peek.  All I saw was wet.

I pulled the fridge out all the way and noticed a teensy spray of water shooting out of a teensy little hole in the water line to our fridge.  My first thought was to call Allen.  But my second, almost simultaneous thought was to fix this myself.  I traced the water line back to the sink and found a little shutoff valve on it.  Righty-tighty I told myself and sure enough the water stopped spraying.  All that was left was to clean up the mess.

Do you remember the last time you cleaned beneath your refrigerator?  Me either.  I forgot how much dust and trash and junk can accumulate under there.  Imagine a whole nation of dust bunnies with a 10 year collection of paper scraps, lost toys, forgotten pennies and random ABC refrigerator magnets... all soaked in water.  It looked like swamp sludge with cheap kiddie prizes mixed in.  Gross.

Two hours later, I am proud to say that the mess is cleaned up.  I even salvaged some of the prizes much to the delight of Little X who spent a good half hour telling me what they were and thanking me for each one.

Why do I call this a modern day miracle?  Because our kitchen has flooded before.  The size of the puddle that had accumulated was manageable.  If I had gone shopping for groceries like I had planned then chances are Cowgirl would have come home to a much bigger puddle while I was out running errands and picking kids up from school.  I would have rushed home with a whole van full of kids to keep out of the kitchen while I cleaned up the mess - which likely would have caused some water damage to the floor after sitting for so long.

I have learned that miracles happen all the time these days but people have stopped seeing them as such.  I try to always recognize God's hand in my life and I have no doubt that this was a time when He was there for me.  I know that in a few days, maybe even by tomorrow, I would have discounted this whole experience as coincidence.  This is why I write such things down.  I need to remember.

Could something as silly as a sudden craving for a grilled cheese sandwich have somehow come to mind by divine intervention and saved me from Major Flooding of the Kitchen, Part 2?

You can think I'm crazy or whatever else - but I say yes.  Absolutely.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time for that grilled cheese sandwich.

9 comments:

Angela said...

oh yes everything happens for a reason and not always as we planned it. I so love miracles

Elizabeth said...

Something like this happened to me last week. It was amazing. I didn't really realize that it had happened until I was telling the story to Randy. Miracles are the best. I am glad you listened.

Linn said...

Grilled cheese sandwich = Little (yet huge to you) miracle...

Absolutely, positively, yes!

Love this so much.

Shannon said...

I just love that you take time from your extremely busy life to write such things down in order to share with the rest of us. Your ambition is a miracle of inspiration, dear Gerb.

Anaise said...

I vote for the miracle, too. Stories like this are a blessing to all of us who read them. :)

Rachel said...

A. I love a good grilled cheese sandwhich.

B. You're amazing.

C. God is a God of miracles.

D. I'm supposed to clean under the fridge?

mommeeof10 said...

My kitchen was a porch before a previous owner had it enclosed. They did not have the floor levels, it still slopes away from the house. Any liquid that spills on the floor runs under the refrigerator. ;)

Richard & Natalie said...

Hurray for miracles. Hurray for you listening. Hurray for you writing it down and sharing it with us. Thank you.

stephanie said...

No, not crazy at all.


stephanie