Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First and Last

Today my Little O started kindergarten and my oldest daughter Elle (formerly known as ElemenoB) moved into her college dorm.  It is Little O's first day of school and Elle's last day at home.  I don't think any mom should have to deal with both of these things in the same day, but it is what it is.

Yesterday Little O presented me with this picture:


When I asked him to tell me about it he said, " This is you, the one with the girl hair, and this is me, the one with a lots of things sticked to me.  You can look at it when you are missing me so much while I am gone at school.  We are holding hands p-cuz we love each other sooooo much!"

After I got all of the kids off to school this morning Elle loaded her boxes and bags into the van and the two little boys and I drove her over to her new home across town.  After she finished check-in and we got everything into her little apartment I had to get back home to get Little O ready for kindergarten.  As we drove away I couldn't help but get a teensy bit teary.  Even though we'll see her again very soon and probably fairly often, it will never be quite the same.  She'll never really completely be here, in our home, again.  I know it's what we've worked at for so many years but it doesn't make it any easier.            


Half of this room is looking pretty empty today.

X and I took Little O off to his first day of school this afternoon.  Little O had no problems with our leaving once he was situated in his very own chair with his own container full of play-dough.  The problem was with X.  Once he realized that O was not coming with us, he started to scream and cry, "NOOOOOO!  My O! My O!  Where my O?"  He kept up like that the whole way home and I wanted to go back and get my little boy and tell the teacher, "I'm sorry, I've made a big mistake.  He shouldn't be here."  But I knew that in reality it was exactly where he wanted and needed to be so I went home and looked at the picture he gave me while X calmed down with some string cheese and a dose of Little Einsteins.

I'm going to miss these two this year!

Little O's first day of kindergarten picture.  He's so dang cute I can hardly stand it!!

My favorite (not her favorite) of all of Elle's senior pictures.  The wind came and caught her hair just so and made her look all supermodelish, plus she's got a genuine smile and a Star Wars shirt on.  I think you can see her personality as well - not only is she beautiful on the outside, look at the beauty behind those eyes. This picture is all Elle!

6 comments:

Linn said...

Oh man, we both have a new Kindergartener this year. It does something to me every single time.

And that picture of Elle--absolutely gorgeous!

Gina Smith said...

What a gorgeous picture of Elle. My heart is wrenched for you. That truly is too much for a mother to take in all in one day. My hugs are going out to you!

Rachel said...

I sooo feel your pain!! Jadon is in the 3rd grade and when he left for Kindergarten and I had an empty house I went into a pretty good depression. The next year I thought I'd do better. Nope! Same with 2nd grade. I'm hoping this year I'll put on my big girl pants and deal with an empty house a bit better.......

Petersons said...

I love this. I'm having mixed feelings about my kids growing up so fast too. My oldest is only 15 but I know the next few years will sail by and she'll be on her way. Just think of the alternative - having them in your house until they're 30...
Beautiful kids!

Anaise said...

I'm not there yet, but I will be someday, and I'll remember that I'm not alone. Here's hoping that the joys of growing up outnumber the heartaches.

信心之屋 said...

Oh, feeling your pain also. So many things happened on the same day. The empty bed certainly is making everyone teary. You are being such a great mom handling this. Just remember that they are starting a wonderful new life(old life at home is also amazing) and you will soon get to see how amazing they are turning into.