Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Radio Has Spoken


The school year has begun.

My oldest two girls are in high school, All-a-Boy is in middle school and the next 4 littles are in elementary.  (Yes, Curly is now in kindergarten, and she is beside herself with joy over it.)

I have been pretty proud of myself for all that I have stayed on top of.  I signed all the beginning of the year disclosure documents (save a tree, for the love!), made sure the kids are doing their homework as soon as they get home, and they're all reading and practicing and (mostly) getting their chores done. 

As I drove the littles to elementary school this morning, I was going through my mental checklist of things they needed and asking them out loud.

"Everyone has their shoes on, right?"

Check.  (I've learned the hard way that although it seems obvious, this is an important question.)

"Backpacks?"

Check.

"Lunches?"

Check.

But something still seemed amiss.

"Did you guys all brush your teeth?"

Um, not really.  One kid even said, "I did it yesterday!" and another said, "I'll do it after school."  But we were pulling up to the school curb, so what could I do?  I passed out mints and reminded them to have their best day, EVER.  Fuzzy teeth with minty-fresh breath?  Good enough for the guys I go with.

As I watched them run off to their class lines, I figured it out.  I saw what wasn't quite right.

Hubba was wearing the same clothes he had worn yesterday.  The exact same outfit, down to the strawberry stain on his right sock.  

No one else will notice, I tried to convince myself.  And at that point, what could I do about it?  Should I call him back to the car, take him home, get him changed, and bring him back?

I knew what I needed to do.  It was one of those times where I needed to let the radio decide.  (Everyone does this, right?)

I turned the radio on, volume down.  I pushed radio button number 4, then slowly turned it up to see what advice would be given.

Bono was singing to me, near the end of the lyrics from Beautiful Day.

Talk to me, Bono.  I said.  What do I do?

And he answered with,  It was a beautiful day! Don't let it get away. Beautiful day...

Okay, yeah, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, whatever, I responded.  But what am I supposed to DO, here, Bono?  My kid's wearing the exact same clothes he wore yesterday!  Help a girl out! 

So Bono, nice man that he is, kept singing to me:

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
What you don't have you don't need it now
Don't need it now...





I think it was the best, most direct advice I have ever gotten from my Magic Radio 8-Ball game.


It could have been worse, I told myself.  He could have still been in his pajamas.



And then I drove home.

Thanks, Bono.

9 comments:

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Jackjack did the same exact thing MORE THAN ONCE last year! I was sure the teacher was going to call me and ask what was up. Add that to all his bumps and bruises...it's a wonder CPS isn't at my door.

Shawna said...

Funny. Wisdom from Bono! Some days we'll take it from wherever we can. Hopefully it turns out to be a beautiful day!

Anaise said...

The fact that you could recognize what your child wore the day before is most impressive. I have fewer children that you do, and I can guarantee that other than the youngest couple of kids I don't know what they're wearing! (Unless it's obviously not going to work.)

I'm so glad Bono gave you such good advice. :)

Mindy said...

Love it!
I'm thinking I might have to play some magic radio 8-ball...

Petersons Blog Spot said...

What Mindy said!

mommeeof10 said...

My 10 yr old will wear the same outfit for days at a time unless I remind him to change. If I don't, he wears the same thing to scholl a few days in a row before hubby figures it out...

Rachel said...

You crack me up. I've not tried that before. Perhaps I shall try it next time I'm in a predicament.

This does make me feel better however considering what Jadon has been wearing to school all week and I have turned a blind eye while the other eye cringed......

A Lark said...

Does it help you to know that in a classroom of 30ish kids, us teachers don't remember what kids wear from one day to the next....and kids, if they do notice, don't care. So.....all's well that ends well. (:
And, no, we don't all think to ask the radio for advice. But I will now.

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

I'm loving the magic radio idea! As for kids wearing the same clothes my 13 year old is horrible at it. Or maybe he's a pro at it. When he does his laundry I often find 14 shirts and 2 pairs of pants. We won't discuss the underwear count.