Sunday, July 15, 2012

Random Thoughts



We got a new tent.  It's huge.  We could probably live in it if we had to.

Anyone who goes to church on Sunday with children under the age of 5 knows exactly how much fun it would be to herd cats for a living or to control a herd of small goats in a grocery store.  If that doesn't make sense to you, be grateful.

I am not ready for school to start.  However, since it is inevitable, I would like to point out that it would be most helpful to get a list of what is needed in each classroom now when everyone is having Back To School sales on supplies rather than the first week of school when everything is full-priced again.

Just because something is on sale doesn't mean I need it.  But it's highly likely that I'll still buy it if it's a screaming deal, like crayons for a penny a box.

Seriously, who doesn't love crayons?

One day I would like to put a whole pallet full of crayons in my trunk and just pass them out to people who could use a little ray of happiness in their lives - which is everyone.  Opening a new box of crayons and seeing all of those happy colors staring back at me is an awesome feeling.

Another thing I love is rainstorms.  Especially in the middle of the summer.  Especially when half the world is on fire and it clears the air of the lingering smoke.  I wish I could find a perfume called "After the Rain".  I would wear it all the time, maybe even bathe in it.

They should stop playing that We Are Young song on the radio, because people are taking the chorus a little too seriously, I think. (Listen at 1:01.  It's catchy.  But stop doing it, people.)

Facebook is good and bad, I think.  It's good for staying in touch with people and seeing what they're up to.  But it also makes me aware of the bad things going on in people's lives, which I always want to make better.  But I can't always make things better.  In fact, I almost always can't.  But that doesn't stop me from wanting to.

I have been sewing again.  Just a little, little bit, but it makes me happy.  Especially when I can think of someone else to make something for.  I think maybe I should sew more things, more often.

The last month has sort of had me in a fog.  I was stuck in this funk (for lack of a better word) and just felt so up-and-down-and-back-again.  Maybe it's a mild sort of depression, I don't know.  But I've found that, for me, the best way to kick the feeling is to do something nice for someone else.  Like sewing them something.  Or baking them cookies.  Probably exercise would help, too, but I just can't find the motivation for that.

I had someone say to me a month ago, "Aren't you a marathon runner?" and I realized then that it would be okay if 'Run A Marathon' was something I never did.

I loved that someone thought I was a marathon runner, even though I haven't run anywhere in a very long time.

I think I need an exercise buddy.  Or maybe I just need to sew more.  And sing more, too.

I really miss my week at camp this summer.  I had some great experiences there with some great girls and great leaders.  I kind of wish we had another week of camp before school started.  But I kind of don't, too.

But really, I loved camp.  So much.  I love the trees and the trails and the mountains and the wildflowers.  I love the lessons learned and the relationships that grew there.  I love the fresh air and even the dirt on my shoes.  I love the way it felt there at my home in the mountains and I wish we went more than once a year.

When I see the girls from our neighborhood at church, the ones who went to camp with me, I want to hug them and remind them what awesome people they are.  But I don't want them to look at me funny.  Still, sometimes I hug them anyway.  Because I don't think anyone can hear enough about their good qualities. 

I need to do this with my kids, too.  Tell them all of the things that I love about them.  All of their quirks and craziness and funnies and talents.  I need to look each one in the eye and tell them about all of the things I love and admire about them.  Even if they roll their eyes at me or call me a creeper.

I am always making lists.  Mental checklists, and I never get to the end of them.  I am not sure if this is good or bad.  Once something is checked off of my list, something else immediately comes to the forefront of my mind as The Thing At The Top Of My List and I can hardly concentrate on anything else until that thing is done.  Does everyone do this?  Make mental checklists?

Does everyone think everyone else should know sign language?  Like dentists, especially? 

The last time I went to the dentist Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go was playing overhead and the dentist and his assistant were having a conversation about who sang the song.  One guessed it was The Beach Boys.  The other guessed it was The Bee Gees.  I had one of those hold-your-mouth-open things in my mouth and couldn't respond, but my expression made it obvious I was in shock that they couldn't name the artist, and the dentist laughed.  The second that thing came out I told them it was Wham! and neither of them had heard of the group.  George Michael?  Still no dice. 

Does everyone else think they're old?

I probably listened to my cassette single of Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go at least 20 times a day for a month when it came out.  It was such a happy, dance-around-your-room kind of song that I couldn't resist it.

I also requested Dancing With Myself at almost every church dance I attended and then I would proceed to, well... dance with myself.  All over the dance floor, twirling and bouncing, arms flailing.  And then I wondered why no one asked me to dance during the other songs.  But man, did that song make me happy.

This is why I am pretty sure that dance-walking is the right exercise for me.  It's pretty much what I already do at home, which could be called dance-homemakering, only in public.  It's actually on my mental checklist of things to do.  It's right before 'Be In A Flashmob', which may never happen because of my lack of ability when it comes to choreographed dancing.  But just busting out moves sporadically?  That I can do.

But I still want to be in a flashmob someday.

And pass out loads of crayons.


13 comments:

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Yahoooooooo!

Shawna said...

I think you should run a marathon and pass out crayons while you do it! Thanks Gerberta for making me chuckle a few times and feel warm-hearted while reading this. You are simply a joy here on earth :)

Mar C said...

Anyone who has ten kids in my mind is a marathon runner.

girlsmama said...

Dear Gerb,

You make me smile and even giggle a little. Thank you! I'm off to dance a little.

Mindy said...

Gerb,
There were so many of your "thoughts" that I could relate to so very well. You made me smile. Thanks. (I second what Shawna said... :-) )

Rebecca said...

I love your random thoughts. I just felt like I had a conversation with you right there!

Richard & Natalie said...

I did a dance for my elementary's talent show to "Wake Me Up Before you Go Go" when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. Please, don't ask me to do it now. :)
Are you still interested in a Girl's Camp rehash Lunch?

Petersons Blog Spot said...

If you ever have an urge to sew something and don't have anyone in mind to sew for I will gladly be the recipient!

Also, I must be living in a cave but I haven't heard of that song (We are Young) and although I watched the link I didn't get what you were referring to at 1:01?

Loved the dance walking!

Is it any wonder you are in a "funk"? Isn't your son leaving soon?

cari said...

If you ever hear of a flashmob, let me know. I totally want to do one but I'm not talented enough to organize one! :)

Gerb said...

BTM- WoooooHooooo!

Shawna- You make me smile. Thanks. :)

MarC- Good point. Maybe I'll own that.

girlsmama- Dance like no one's watching!

mindy- Seeing your comments makes me smile, too. Thanks!

Bec- Now we need to do it in real life.

Natalie- Are you that much younger than me? Man, I'm a geezer. But YES, I NEED the post-camp follow-up lunch. Please.

Jerri- You got it! I have just the sewing project in mind. :) The song says "let's set the world on fire" at 1:01 or so. And here in Utah (and many other states, unfortunately) there are wildfires happening almost constantly, many man-made. Lastly, yes- my boy is gone on his mission. He left last Wednesday. But I'm doing okay. :)

Cari- I have heard of 2 I could have been in but they happened to be on days that I already had things going on. One was even at BYU, how easy is that? I'll definitely let you know when I hear of one. I'll need some moral support!

Rachel said...

This post made me smile. Why don't you live next door?

You can run with Nat and I. We're not marathon runners in that sense either but as mothers, we run marathons daily. :)

Funk. I get the funk. Some days are just funkyyyyyy.

Funny. Kirsten was signing to our dentist one day that she needed to go to the biffy. Totally confused and kept guessing wrong. Finally he took out the open your mouth as wide as a hippo contraption and she jumped up and yelled, "bathroom" and took off. Yes, dentist need to learn sign language. That and mothers of patients who need to go potty and are as confused as the dentist as to what her daughter is signing....... It would also come in handy for those times during church when you want to yell at your kids without the whole congregation knowing you are telling your kids to shut up and be quiet or you're going to come down the bench and rip their lips off because don't they know, THE BISHOP IS WATCHING!!!!

Flashmob. I'd totally do it in a heartbeat. Bucket list item.

Unknown said...

I love you!

Unknown said...

That unknown I love you comment was from me...Autumn