Thursday, October 25, 2012

Extreme Makeover


 My friend Janelle and I took a road trip recently.  We went to go visit a friend.  The drive to his new place in Sandpoint was long, but we hardly noticed due to the beautiful scenery and great company.







As we drove through the mountains and valleys, enjoying the awesome fall colors and our picturesque surroundings, we couldn't help but think of our friend and how much he would have enjoyed being there with us.  As we came into Sandpoint and drove down the road which led to the cemetery we looked in the sky and noticed some Z-shaped clouds welcoming us.  Coincidence?




Maybe.  But we didn't think so.

We easily found the marker at Jason's little spot of ground.  I gave him the pumpkin that my family had all signed, a gift we decided on knowing that autumn was his favorite season.  Because of the time of year, everything looked barren and gray.  Janelle and I decided that we needed to cheer things up a bit.  We did what girls do.  We went and purchased some items for a little makeover.

When we returned the next day, we tried out some of the decorations.  First, a sweet little kitty.  


It's true that Joey Dosent Like Kittys, but this kitty sure liked Jason.  However, we decided to go with something a little more manly.  Jason's favorite holiday was definitely Halloween, and since his headstone wasn't in yet we found a temporary fix along with a couple of extra items to make his place look festive.  The skeleton on the headstone even wore a little smirk - we thought Jason would like that.



We worried a little bit about what others might think if they came across our awesome Haloween makeover.  So, as much as we knew Jason would say something like "That's brilliant!" or "This is awesoooome!", we went with a more traditional kind of autumn decor.



Here's the whole family plot.  It's in a beautiful, peaceful place, just up against some trees in a far corner of the cemetery.


We took some time to sit and chat with our friend before leaving on the next leg of our journey, to visit some of the places he talked and wrote about.
 

As we drove away I looked back at our little makeover and thought, we did good.  I loved how we were able to transform his little spot of earth into the bright spot of the cemetery.
 

11 comments:

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Sigh. Yes, you did a great job. I just wish you didn't have to do it. :o(

Sending you lots and lots of love.

Sabrina said...

Neat experience. I loved seeing the Z cloud.

Kristi said...

I'm glad you and Janelle have each other and have gotten closer through all this. Great idea!

Rachel said...

That kitty's face is the creepiest.

I'm glad you and Janelle were able to go on this trip. Can we do lunch now???? :)

Richard & Natalie said...

Do you two hire out? ;)

It really was awesome- all of it, even the kitty.

Michelle Monk said...

Oh my heck that is so great! I think that is so neat! Way to go girls, I hope you had a great trip! I was in Provo over the weekend and I too had my Jason time! You two are awesome! :)

A Lark said...

Nicely done! You didn't even make any smart aleck remarks about the creepy kitten.... (: Glad you tagged me in this - I get credit without having to do the work of writing it up. Thanks!

Petersons Blog Spot said...

I echo Sabrina's comment.

Just SO said...

What a neat thing to do! That Z cloud was awesome!

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

I love the headstone but I am glad you changed it - I think I thought the same thing as Jason would have. Great job!

Chelle! said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with all of your admirers. You are simply amazing!!!