Monday, December 5, 2016

Light The World: 25 Ways in 25 Days



I am excited to be a part of this initiative to find ways to serve others over the Christmas season - 25 ways in 25 days. My daughter Julia, who is serving a mission for our church in New England, challenged our family to participate in this with her despite the miles between us. For the first time in a long time, I am excited for December.

If you would like to get some great ideas of ways that you can join us in serving others, there is more information, including a daily calendar for the month of December, HERE.

Here's what we've done so far...

Day 1: Worldwide Day of Service (Serve anyone, any time, anywhere, any way)


I took every available child with me to go help clean up my mom's yard. There is a giant walnut tree behind her house and a couple in her yard that scatter leaves all over her driveway and sidewalk. So we raked and swept and made it so that she no longer gets leaves tracked into her house. (And found 5 eggs amongst the leaves, left behind by her neighborhhod chickens which often come and kick bark from her flowerbed onto her driveway.)

Day 2: Honor Your Parents


I shared these memories on Facebook:

One of my favorite memories of my dad was when I was about a month away from getting married and I had a $188 fine I needed to pay, but not enough money to pay it. Without hesitation my dad gave me his entire collection of $2 bills and a roll of quarters to pay the fine. 


A favorite memory of my mom was back in high school when my brother and I talked endlessly about wanting to go see REM in concert and she surprised us by buying us tickets. My parents have always been wonderful examples to me of love, service and kindness. I am so blessed to call them my mom and dad!

Later that day I took my mom some of her favorite treats.


Day 3: Help Others to See (See the good in themselves, the good in the world, or literally to see by donating a pair of used eyeglasses to a charity)

I posted one of my favorite quotes on Facebook to remind others that we are all meant to SHINE.


I also went out of my way to tell people the genuine, kind thoughts I had of them. Sometimes it was awkward. But who doesn't love hearing about the good you see in them? It always went over well.

Day 4: Find a way to worship


This day seemed almost too easy to me, because we attend worship services at church every Sunday. However, this Sunday was extra special because we were able to attend the blessing of our sweet grandson. (Allen had to leave a little early for some meetings so he is unfortunately missing from the picture.)

We were also able to attend our own church meetings as well as watching an uplifting Christmas Devotional later that evening. 

Day 5: Help to heal the sick

One of the suggested ways to do this was to donate blood. So I did.

 

2 comments:

Anaise said...

Awesome!

And your mom's hair in that first photo of her in the post, is to die for. :)

Jerri-Lynn Peterson said...

Yes! I love that young picture of your parents! Way to go with all the servingšŸ˜‡