Sunday, January 19, 2014

Two More Days


I was feeling melancholy today about Elle leaving for her 18-month mission for our church this week. Somehow that brought me to our file cabinet where we keep various papers and artwork that each of the kids bring home or create over the years. I pulled out Elle's file and near the end I found the picture that is posted above.  She drew it at church, when she was 5 years old.  

On Wednesday we will take Elle to the airport and say goodbye.  She will fly to Mexico and stay at the Missionary Training Center there for 6 weeks before making her way to Louisiana to serve out the rest of her 18 months.

There are no words to describe how much we will miss her - but she is going to do some amazing work teaching others about Christ and I know it is where she needs to be for the next little while.  Being her mother I have often wondered who was teaching who - Elle has always been such an awesome example to me of a true follower of Christ and I can't wait to see what kind of an impact her sharing her light with others will make. 

We have two more days.  

2 comments:

Linn said...

This makes me teary. She will be an amazing missionary. I'm sorry for your mother's heart. I can't imagine. And don't want to.

Yet.

Anaise said...

Oh my. Two for you now. What sharp changes are happening for you. What a treasure that picture is, though. She's gonna be so great!!!