Sunday, May 12, 2013

Turnaround

Little O with me in Sunday School, taking refuge beneath the table at the front of the room.

For weeks and weeks Little O refused to go to his class at church.  He would wake up Sunday morning mourning his fate.  Is it Sunday?  I hate Sunday!  I don't like church.  I want to go to class with you.  I don't want to go to my class!  I want to stay with you at church, Mom!

And then, for his 5th birthday, he made one repeated request.  He never asked for anything else, just this one thing:  a church tie with a phone box Tardis on it.

Thanks to my brother-in-law, Lance, my kids are all well-versed in Doctor Who.  I have only watched one episode and it didn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me, but whatever.  The kids are obsessed.  Even if the littler ones sometimes can't shut their eyes at night just in case the Weeping Angels get closer.  (Thanks a lot for that, Lance.)

About 3 days before his birthday I realized that this really, truly was all that he wanted.  A church tie with a Tardis on it.  I searched everywhere for a kid-sized tie with a phone box.  I even looked for phone box fabric, thinking I could make him one.  No such luck!  The day before his birthday I had the idea to look for a Tardis tie tack and found one on Etsy.  You know it is fate when the person selling the exact thing you need by tomorrow lives only 20 minutes from you.  He hand delivered the tie tack, I found a snazzy tie to attach it to, and Little O was absolutely thrilled.


Little did I know that this gift would be a present for me as well!  The Sunday after his birthday he woke up excited for church!  His devastation turned to elation when he realized it was Sunday.  He babbled on all morning about how excited he was to go to church.  Is it Sunday?  I can't wait to go to church!  I love my teacher!  I want to show my teacher my tie!

His teacher reported to me after church that he came to class, kissed her on the cheek and showed her his new tie.  He then proceeded to try to kiss every girl in his class.  (sigh.)  When I asked him about that and told him it wasn't really appropriate behavior he responded, "I just don't know why I like girls SOOOO much!"

Looks like I have a new problem to deal with.

3 comments:

Pam Farley said...

Ohhhh, those weeping angels! I didn't sleep for a week after that episode!

You have the coolest kids. :o)

Kathy said...

Good thing your kids have an uncle to help raise them right. ;)
Doctor Who is a lot of fun!
But I agree... probably not best for the little ones. Weeping Angels, Cybermen, Daleks - they can all be a little much at times.
How fun that you fulfilled his wish for a TARDIS tie. What a great mom! :)

Rachel said...

You are, the coolest mom. Ever!!

And here we have, in the last photo, the so excited and full of happiness it is exploding out of his eyeballs photo! :D