Thursday, March 28, 2013

The (insert your name here) Show


photo here

Have you ever imagined what it would be like to be the star of your own T.V. show?  The thought came to mind recently out of the blue.  Imagine what it would be like for even just a day to have every moment of your life captured on video and broadcast for anyone that would like to watch. 

Would you do anything differently?

I'm pretty sure that I would.

I would spend less time getting frustrated over the things I can't control and more time laughing.

I would smile more.

I would cook from scratch more.

I would spend less time trying to pluck out my gray hairs and trust my kids when they say they aren't very obvious.

I know we're not supposed to care what others think, but I do.  And I think most people do.  And because of this, I would spend less time in my pajamas all day.

I would spend less time on the computer and more time on the floor, playing with my kids.

I would take more time to tuck each of my kids in at night, to read them stories and sing them songs and look them in the eyes and tell them that I love them.  Even the teenagers.

I would make time to visit the hairdresser more often (more than once every year or so).

I would actually buy clothes for myself when I go shopping.

I would speak more positively of myself around my kids and less negatively about others.

I would be more insistent that my teenage daughters wear their bike helmets even if it means they will "look like crap" at school.

I would be a better wife, mother, sister, aunt, cousin, leader, friend.

I would still sing at the top of my lungs whenever I wanted.

And I would still bust out my crazy I-can't-dance-moves like no one was watching.

Because not even being on national television would stop that.

(Sorry kids.)

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Thanks again, Gerb, for sharing your amazing insights.

Your post brings to mind one of the Primary program songs for this year. "If the Savior Stood Beside Me." So many of the words are echoed in what you just shared. Would I say the things I say and do the things I do if I knew I was being observed in such a way on tv or by the Savior? I know there are things I would and should change, just as there are things I would keep the same, perhaps even my corny comments and woefully lacking dancing skills... It is a reminder though that we are being watched even when we may not even realize it - and would sometimes prefer it wasn't so. I hope I'm not too big a disappointment to my unintended audience.

Thanks again for giving me something to really ponder.

Rachel said...

It is 10:00 in the morning and I am sitting in my pajamas. :D I have a TON to do today. I should get crackin'....... but I don't wanna.

I'm glad there are no tv cameras that would let the world know that I'm probably just like everybody else. That when I wake up my hair is funky (along with my breath) and since the kids are gone I burp when ever I want to and when it's a real rip snorter wish my kids had been there to hear that one!! Okay, maybe not everyone is like that..... but I'm willing to bet if we all had tv's in our house we'd see we have a lot in common.

I should have a camera in my house though because like you said, I'd do all those things you said you'd do. I'm not sure I'd sing really loud...... I'd probably pick up a certain book someone just bought me and read it really loud though like I did on the way home from the school yesterday to which my daughter kept saying, "Mom!! Stop!!! You're embarrassing me"!!!

What??? I thought the neighbors would be interested in such fascinating facts! So I read to them as I walked home...... I had to read loud...... because they were all in their houses..... Now that I think about it..... do you think they did that on purpose?

P.S. There have been times where I have sonic boom belched and realized the windows were open and blushed. Maybe I should take up singing really loud.......

Shannon said...

Your show would undoubtedly be my favorite for all of those reasons, but especially the dancing.

Incidentally, when M got home from work yesterday, he gave me an up and down...I said "It's National Wear Your Pajamas To Work Day...two days ago. I'm celebrating late." The festivities may have spilled into today as well....