Monday, June 18, 2012

Remembering


The day came without any warning. 

When I opened my mailbox, I felt a sudden exhilaration.  I had no idea it was coming!  I couldn't believe it had arrived with so little fanfare.


It seemed like there should have been a huge bunch of balloons floating above my mailbox, colorful streamers decorating the post, perhaps even some confetti cannons set to go off when the mailbox was opened.   

My first published writing.  It brought an indescribable happiness to my heart as I flipped open the publication and saw the title, Remembering, followed by my name.


I read through it once again, proud of the work it had taken to transform my story into words that went into even more detail to describe what I had endured in my younger years.  I remembered the pain that resurfaced as I recalled the things I had gone through - and the difficulty in adding memories that I was fine with forgetting.

I looked to the table of contents.  There I was again. 


What an awesome feeling of accomplishment!

Would you like to see what I wrote?  It's not a funny story.  It's not witty or clever.  But it's MY story - a huge part of the story of me.

Tomorrow I will link to my original essay and show you what it became with the help of an editor.  I'd love to hear what you think.  

10 comments:

NoSurfGirl said...

Hooray! Segullah is such a great magazibe, with great people, and I can't wait to read your essay!

LuckyRedHen said...

Congrats, Gerb! That's so exciting :) I love the cover art. It's nice that you're in a pretty book.

Teachinfourth said...

Rock on, my friend. I can tell everyone that I knew you way back before your glory days.

Rory, Chocolate Hair/Vanilla Care said...

congratulations, gerb, you so deserve this! ;-)

Rachel said...

Can't wait to read!!!

Mindy said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing with us. I really admire those who have the courage to tackle the past with all its bumps and bruises and come up victorious.

Petersons Blog Spot said...

Looking forward to reading it and congratulations!

Anaise said...

That's exciting! Congratulations!

Linn said...

Wahoo! Congrats friend and I cannot wait to read it!

dalene said...

Way to go, Gerb!