Saturday, February 19, 2011

You Choose

This whole week (tomorrow's the last day) you can leave me a comment on this post and you're guaranteed an answer! Some answers will be left in the comments, some will be answered as a post. What are you waiting for? Go ask me a question!

photo found here

This post is in response to some questions from 'anonymous':

Are you really so happy all the time? Do you ever have a bum day? Have you had any experiences that made you the way you are?

Well, Anon, your first question is one that I actually get asked a lot. And yes, I am a pretty happy person. You know why? Because I choose to be. Do I have bad days? Of course. Everyone does. In fact, my foot frustrates me to no end right now. It drives me nuts to sit around all day long and to have to depend on others to do a lot of things for me. I can't drive. I can't run my own errands. I can't do a whole number of things right now. I could easily choose to feel sorry for myself (and yes, sometimes I do) but it makes life a whole lot better if I choose instead to be thankful for the things I CAN do rather than focusing on the ones I can't.

Have you ever heard the saying, "I had no shoes and complained until I met a man with no feet"?

I think life is always better than we think if we are willing to look for the blessings.

Here's a kid who is a great example of this...



As for your last question, Have you had any experiences that made you the way you are? my answer is yes. I think everyone is who they are because of the things they have experienced. I could list a whole number of things that have influenced the person that I am today, but the thing that stands out the most to me is that I was bullied as a child. I would never, ever in any circumstance wish these sort of experiences upon anyone. However, they have shaped me into the person that I am. Again, it is a matter of choice. I could continue to see myself as a victim or learn something from the experience and try to make a difference for others who are enduring similar circumstances.

What it all comes down to is this quote that I love from the movie The Iron Giant:

You are who you choose to be.

I choose to be happy.

10 comments:

Deb said...

Well put!!! We choose our happiness!!

Sarah said...

Loved this question AND this answer! (I only asked mine because aaaallll the good ones were already asked!)

Thanks for the life lesson and the daily reminder (and the misty eyes that went along with it).

Rebecca said...

You know, it's a good point. My kids might ask me a different question: "Are you really so grumpy all the time?" And I would have to say, No, actually, my life is not that bad, I just complain a lot!

Food for thought.

Rachel said...

Oh how I relate to this post in so many way. :D I think, we are twins that got seperated somehow. Just sayin.....

Richard & Natalie said...

Just another reason I love you!

Teachinfourth said...

Thanks for finding this, Gerb! I'd looked for this video since seeing it years ago but couldn't remember the boy's name. I'd searched on YouTube but came up with a few other hits, but none for Gabe.

My question is this: If you could spend the day with one person, living or dead, who would it be and why?

I'd like a post, please.

Thanks, in advance.

Oh, and you can't choose me.

Gina said...

Reason number 917 why I love you!

Hannah said...

Wow! I just found your blog. What an inspiration you are. I've always wanted a big family. You make it seem doable.

Gerb said...

Thanks for all of your comments, friends. (And welcome, Hannah! Thanks for your kind words.)

Shannon said...

Glorious words ~ thank you!