Friday, May 21, 2010

Learning For Life

I got a postcard in the mail today from one of Coolister's teachers. In fact, it was the one teacher that he has mentioned before in the context of I don't think Mrs. So-and-so likes me much so I was surprised by what it said:

(click on the picture to make it larger)

When I asked him about it, he told me that she had inadvertently given him close to full credit on a 150 point assignment which he had failed to turn in. His grade in this class was a C and the points she had given him brought it up to an A. However, as soon as he noticed the discrepancy, he told her. He didn't even entertain the idea of letting the extra points slide. She thanked him for his honesty and changed the grade on the assignment back to a zero. He did not regret his decision.

Coolister is already a smart kid. I know he knows his stuff for his classes, even when his grades don't show it (he tends to procrastinate much too often). The actions which prompted this postcard are the type of thing I want him to be learning. This is the stuff that will truly make a difference in his life.

Good grades are awesome, but good character is even better.

This is the education that I desire most for my family.

These are the moments that make me proud.