Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Power Of Music

My littlest kids were watching Pooh's Grand Adventure yesterday.

I have actually never had the pleasure of sitting down and watching this particular movie with them or of hearing any of the soundtrack for that matter. I'm not sure how I've gotten away with this for so long, but yesterday it finally caught up with me and as I stood in the kitchen fixing lunch, I heard the lyrics to this song.

(Link to "Forever and Ever" from Pooh's Grand Adventure)

I'm not going to lie to you. It totally made me cry. Not a sobbing, audible sort of cry, but tears were present nonetheless.

I tried to reason with myself.

Gerb, seriously, Winnie the Pooh?

I know! You're preaching to the choir here. It's humiliating.


What exactly is it about a cartoony song that could possibly make you cry?

So I thought about it. And here's the thing... music gets to me. Sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes it's the melody or the way someone knows how to make a guitar sing to my soul. It can be the beautiful combination of certain notes which strikes a chord somewhere inside of me when I hear them. It is almost as if music opens up a sixth sense somewhere - an untapped reservoir of memories and emotions which only responds to a beautiful blending of words or specific cadence of sound.

I suppose you could say that if feelings were audible, they would sound like music. Music is a sort of foreign language with varying dialects which are only understood by those who have been immersed in them and lived among them.

I don't know... my words seem convoluted and insufficient.

I guess that what I'm trying to express here is that music has an unexplainable power over the part of my mind which determines how I will react to things.

Including songs sung by a silly old bear.

No comments: