Friday, July 27, 2007

Living the Dream

Cassie and I at our high school's 10 year reunion in 2000.

Sometimes I get reminiscent. I think about the days I was a teenage dreamer, and remember all the things I was going to become. Namely, an actress and singer. Yesterday I had one of those remembering days, and I started thinking about my friend Cassie who shared my dreams. So I typed her name into Google and, lo and behold, there were numerous links to info on her life! She has been in a few big movies (including Princess Diaries 1 & 2!) and currently performs on stage at Knott's Berry Farm. She has a website which explains her life's dream and how she is working to accomplish it.

So that got me thinking. Am I living my life's dream?

The closest I got to being an actress-on-stage after high school was emceeing our church's talent show a couple years running. I'm telling you, I brought down the house! I also pretend to be a princess when playing with my little girls. I love using different voices and accents when I read stories to my children. I enjoy acting goofy in front of people, telling animated stories of my life, and making others laugh.

I am definitely not a professional singer, but MAN do I love to sing! I busted out an amazing parody of "Part of Your World" from Little Mermaid for the whole crowd at Young Women's Camp last week. I love to sing my kids to sleep - I love it even more when they want me to. Our crazy family loves to blast the stereo and sing at the top of our lungs and dance like lunatics. I get to sing at church every Sunday. I love it when someone sitting near me is singing a different part than I, allowing me to enjoy the harmony. I sing in the shower, sing in the car, and burst into random song lyrics whenever someone says something that makes me think of one. It's a little game I play with myself, and it's fun. (Seriously, try it!) I did also have a (very) short-lived career as a karaoke singer back in the day.

Are these still my dreams? Sure! And I think I am living them. Just in a different way than I had originally planned. I have also added some dreams to the mix. Like being a wife and mother. And a gourmet chef. Also a master gardener, photographer, chauffeur, cheerleader (minus the short skirt), writer, storyteller, bargain shopper, hairdresser, seamstress, and psychiatrist, to name a few. In varying degrees, I am living all these dreams.

And, let's be honest...

It doesn't get much better than that.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think you should start dreaming about being a WORLD TRAVELER, Gerb. You could start with a brief venture to the Northwest, or maybe even a week in the Caribbean....

Gina said...

You always get me thinking. I like to read what's new on your mind. Always creative and worth another thought or two later. Am I living my dream? When it comes to the family, sure!

Cami said...

You're right. It doesn't get much better than that. Although, sometimes I think it does. You know, the grass is always greener on the other side. It is always good for me to get away for awhile, and remember why I love being a stay-at-home-mom.

I think we need to have another talent show. And you can be the emcee!